Thursday, March 13, 2008

Homemade dog biscuits

Well, I was really bored the other night and not ready for bed, so I thought I would try putting together a batch of homemade dog bisquits (though I had a huge 20 pound bag of them sitting in the other room!). I found a recipe online, but then added a few things of my own - crunchy peanut butter and chopped garlic and some molasses. I call them Peanut Butter Garlic Crunch Bisquits, or PBGC for short - LOL :) The dogs LOVE them, I think mostly because they are smelly from the garlic. I really enjoyed making them so I am going to experiment with a few different recipies and come up with some new treats for them! Here is the PBGC recipie...

3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp of veggie oil
1 tsp of salt
1 egg
1 tsp molasses
2 tblsp of crunch peanut butter
1/2 tsp of chopped garlic
3 cups of flour (or until a good doughy consistensy)

Pour hot water over the butter and veggie oil, stil in salt, egg, molasses, garlic & peanut butter. Once it's all blended for the most part, add the flour 1/2 cup at a time. Add flour until it's a good doughy consistensy, not to sticky to handle. Once this is done - spread some flour out on the counter and knead the dough, add flour as needed. Once it's kneaded well, pat out and roll (I just patted it out, no rolling pin needed) to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut (I used a dog bone cookie cutter I had) and bake at 325 degrees for about 60 minutes or until dry. Cool and they should be nice and cruncy and when you break them in half they should be hard and flakey.

The dogs LOVE them, I use the store bought ones for their lunch and bedtime snack (I give them all a bisquit at lunch time and before bed) and the ones I baked for special treats :)

I am going to try and experiment with some pumpkin, brown sugar and honey and see how those turn out and how the dogs like them - I will post after I have tried it and let you all know how they came along and if they are worth trying or not :)

Bisquits all around!

Krys

1 comment:

lnielsen said...

thank you for sharing a nice recipe. Cute whippets there :) I need help with your expertise about dog biscuit making- Is it ok to add green tea powder for these? I was thinking of adding maybe something like this:
tea